Passin’ on the Love and Libyan Side Dishes

Last night, after the kids were washed and bathed from creating a water slide on their new swing set that ultimately shot them out into a puddle of mud, we completed our cooking adventure in Libya. We made a fish dinner with a few Libyan side dishes. Tonight we want to share our sides as well as pass on the love for some awards we have received in recent weeks.

We are always humbled by and grateful for awards we receive from fellow bloggers, and Mr. N is always quite excited. We were recently honored with The Versatile Blogger Award from both Mandy at The Complete Cook Book and Mary at Inside a British Mum’s Kitchen. Both are wonderful food blogs with amazing recipes. Mandy is currently on a bread baking mission, which as a non-bread baker myself, I’m absolutely enjoying. One of these days I’ll make that my mission as well. I mean who doesn’t love a fresh loaf of bread?! (Well, except for Kay over at Pure Complex, but we’ll forgive her that since she was the first to pass along this award to us a while back. LOL! Love ya Kay!)

And Mary cooks for a busy family with teenage girls. She gives me hope that our kids will still want to hang around in the kitchen with us when they’re teenagers. She’s also the creator of our Libyan couscous dish from last night. It’s a wonderful couscous salad that’s full of fresh flavor and veggies. (Incidentally it got 4 spoons from me, 3 spoons from dad, and while Mr. N and Miss A weren’t fans of the couscous they did eat all the chickpeas they could find!)

So thank you ladies! As the rules go, here is our list of 7 things you don’t know about us (Although some of you already do if you read this before!) as well as our original list of blogs to whom we presented the award. We’d also like to pass on the love to some of our newly found favorites – Our Note 2 Self, Five Euro Food, Sweet Caroline’s Cooking, Chef in Disguise, Savoring Every Bite, Kitchen BelleiciousThe Austin Gastronomist and Isabelle at Home. Check ’em out…they’re all good reads – and provide lots of good eats.

Now for our final Libyan side dish, Eijjat Kausa, or Zucchini Fritters. Miss A was on hand to help us shred the zucchini and chop the onion and cilantro. She LOVES the food processor.

First we shredded the zucchini.

Then we chopped the onion and cilantro and mixed them all together.

Next we whisked together three eggs and added them to the mixture. We also sifted together the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika.

Finally the ingredients were then all combined to form a chunky batter.

The batter is then scooped onto a hot griddle coated in cooking spray – about spoonful-sized drops.

We cooked the fritters for about two minutes per side and served them with hot sauce.

The eijjat kausa was a nice complement to our spicy fish; however we think it would have been a lot better fried as was called for in the original recipe on Celtnet. It wasn’t so much the flavors that didn’t click for us, it was the texture. And these weren’t a favorite for the kids though. Mr. N gave them a 2 spoon rating and Miss A doled out her “nasty” vote.

Dad and I also gave the zucchini fritters 2 spoons. Dad enjoyed them with the hot sauce, but not on their own. As for me, I’m not closing the door on this one yet – I may have to try this recipe fried and with chili powder instead of paprika first. The frying process might make all the difference, but isn’t that always the case! 😉

Print this recipe: Eijjat Kausa

19 thoughts on “Passin’ on the Love and Libyan Side Dishes

1. Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} says:

Congrats on your awards! Like I said you have a creative way of introducing foods to yoru kids and you make it fun too! I love zucchini, but never tried this particular recipe, I’d do the same and bake them too though frying always tastes best. 🙂

2. Kate@Diethood says:

Congrats on your award – well deserved! You have a great blog!

I love zucchini fritters… I’m sorry yours didn’t turn out. I just fry them – they taste best when fried. :/

• ChefMom says:

Thank you Kate! That means a lot as I admire yours a great deal as well! 🙂

I knew we should have fried them…Sometimes when you try to go healthy it just doesn’t work. 😉

3. Linda says:

Congrats on your awards! I enjoy reading your posts and find great new recipes to try! Zuchini fritters are a favorite of mine and looking forward to trying out your recipe!

I actually had a couscous salad of my own last night. I like getting a massive mound of parsley, chopping it fine and chucking it in – really good. Lots of garlic and lemon – the taste is so fresh is delicious!

The fritters look like a lot of fun, must give these a try sometime – I usually just have sweetcorn or banana (not both together :D)

• ChefMom says:

You know couscous is probably one of the best things to come out of this blogging experience so far. Until now I’ve only had it in stuffed peppers, but there are so many wonderful recipes for salads out there – it’s awesome! I love the parsley in it as well. Oooh and garlic – I’ll have to add that next time! 🙂

5. Caroline says:

Thank you so much for passing on the award–you are far too kind! I absolutely love your blog and read it every day. You always have such wonderful recipes, stories and photos. You just made my night. 🙂

6. Kay aka Babygirl says:

Hey… Just because I’m not a bread-aholic that doesn’t mean that’s a bad thing LOL. Congratulations! But as I’ve said before, you deserve this award. You’re blog is amazing and your family is beautiful. And these Zucchini Fritters look amazing. And Miss A is such a cutie in that photo.

7. thecompletecookbook says:

Thanks for the mention. 🙂 What a pity your zucchini fritters weren’t a hit, but like you the frying process can make a big difference. Miss A looks precious next to the food processor – I bet given half the chance, she would depress the button all day.
    🙂 Mandy

• ChefMom says:

Thank you Mandy! And you’re absolutely right – she’d press that button all day long if we let her. She’s definitely very closely supervised when the processor is around. LOL.