Dessert for Breakfast and Other Infidelities

We wanted to try an Egyptian dessert this week. We also wanted something healthy so that our waistlines didn’t explode after that Georgia Peach Cobbler. We found a recipe for a strawberry dessert on Tour Egypt and while it’s fairly healthy, I have to say that I’m not really convinced it’s an authentic Egyptian dessert. I’m also uncertain whether it’s a dessert or if it’s breakfast. I think it can easily be both; and if not, well then we just ate dessert for breakfast. I suppose there are worse things that could happen.

The recipe is easy - combine raspberries and sugar in a sauce pan and heat, stirring gently, until a syrup forms.

Next add a few slices of peaches to the sauce pan and cook an extra minute or two. The original recipe calls for passion fruit, which would probably make this more Egyptian (maybe?), but unfortunately we couldn’t find any. Not to mention, we had more than enough peaches available. Finally we also added a splash of OJ just for fun.

Next we poured the ingredients from the sauce pan into the blender and mixed until they formed a nice puree. At this point you could use a sieve to remove the raspberry seeds, but we like them left in to give it more of a fruit preserve texture. While the puree cools, slice some strawberries and place them in individual serving dishes.

Lastly pour the raspberry puree over the strawberries and serve with finger biscuits.

Mr. N and Miss A completely lapped this stuff up – so perhaps it is more of a dessert. ;)

Dad and I sampled a bit of the kids’ dishes and it really was quite good. Not enough to sway me from my daily bowl of Cheerios and fruit though. Seriously, if I don’t have them in the morning you don’t want to be near me. They are a must for me – every morning since childhood with the exception of a few periods in which I took “a break” to sample other options. However each and every time I find myself back with my beloved little O’s. Perhaps I am what you’d call a cereal monogamist.

Back to our dessert, I mean breakfast, Dad and I would give it 3 spoons. You really can’t go wrong with raspberries or strawberries. Miss A gave the dish 4 spoons and ate it up. When I asked Mr. N if he liked it, he gave it some thought.

As you can tell by his reaction, he gave it 4 spoons too. Have a great weekend!

Print this recipe: Strawberries with Raspberry Puree

25 comments on “Dessert for Breakfast and Other Infidelities

1. Kathryn says:

Bwahahah! I am cracking up at your phrase, “cereal monogamast.” I am a “cereal cheater.” I never get the same kind of cereal two weeks in a row, and sometimes I mix multiple kinds of cereal together. Guilty pleasure. :)

2. This looks like a great way to get kids to eat more fresh fruit in their diet. I love your son’s facial expression at the end. This sounds good over some pancakes instead of syrup! Hmmm, good!

3. This is totally delicious! This is not sinning , hardly!

• ChefMom says:

Thank you Priya! And thanks for visiting. It was very good. When it’s that good calories don’t count right?! LOL. Have a great night.

4. Caroline says:

Oh wow, this dessert sounds heavenly. I can definitely see myself eating this for breakfast, considering my love for sweets. Mr. N is too cute eating this dessert–he definitely seemed to enjoy it!

• ChefMom says:

The kids were so excited to eat this for breakfast. I’m thinking it would be great on ice cream – but also could go really nicely with French toast too!

5. My kind of a dessert…creamy and fruity…yummo! I would love this for breakfast! Your little foodies know what’s good for them! :)

6. Malli says:

Love your combination of fruits.. strawberries and raspberries Mr N seems to be totally enjoying that heavenly treat— :)

7. LOL Mr. N looks like he is in heaven right now lol. I love his photos… too funny and cute. Love this berry dessert

• ChefMom says:

He’s our little ham for the camera – well actually they both are – but Mr. N probably more so. He knows how to work it. LOL. You could easily leave the peaches out of this one and get the same effect. Maybe even try papaya. ;)

8. Eftychia says:

My kids will be very pleased with this. It looks very easy as well. Thanks!!!!

9. I love the idea of dessert for breakfast – your kiddies must have been thrilled. Fresh berries are always such a nice treat. Bet this puree would be great over some vanilla ice cream too. :-) Mandy

10. Mary says:

Sounds great to me – nevermind what time of the day! I suppose you could try it on yogurt – or even vanilla ice cream!??
    Mary

11. I love lighter desserts and berries are so wonderful right now. Also, great time of year to not use your oven! (I know we’re farther South.)

• ChefMom says:

With our crazy weather – one day it’s humid and 85, the next it’s 45 and freezing. Can’t make up its mind. Today was a definite no oven day though. ;)

Mmm – berries and peaches – what an awesome breakfast / dessert! Local strawberries are just starting to come into season and there’s a “Pick your own fruit” farm nearby which we’ll be paying a visit to sometime soon. I’ve had to make do with imported Spanish strawberries up to now – I didn’t realise until recently that they have massive swathes of land under plastic in Spain where they’re intensively farming out-of-season fruit and vegetables for export (which would explain why I can buy strawberries without a problem in mid-winter for example :p They’re ok in a pinch although rather tasteless compared to the beautiful, sun-kissed local ones!

• ChefMom says:

Oh I love U-pick places! We haven’t gone for strawberries, but we always go for raspberries and apples every fall. I want to find a farm for strawberries and peaches this year. Well, I say that every year and our list of things to do always ends up too big. I think we need 6 more weeks in summer! Or I need to move to a warmer climate. ;) But I totally agree – nothing is better than a sun-kissed strawberry!