Country Magic

We just returned from our second summer at the Michigan country house. It was another magical stay with the kids. There’s no other way to describe it. Peaceful, serene, beautiful, fun and lazy are all words that come to mind. We cooked, played baseball in the fields, played a game of monopoly (and finished it!), read books cover-to-cover, roasted marshmallows and did jigsaw puzzles. We even found time for a fun park, the beach, wineries and picking fruit. I swear the hours are longer in the country.
country home

As we know all to well though, all good things must come to an end. School starts in a week and we’ll be back to our regular routines. It’s always bittersweet. We’ll miss our extended days with the kids, but there is something to be said for the routine of school. So while we wind down our long summer days, here’s a look at what was on our menu in the country.

After picking a bushel of fresh peaches, we went through the archives to find our favorite recipes. peach picking

First on the list was the Peach Rosemary Lemonade.
Rosemary Peach Lemonade
Print the recipe here: Rosemary Peach Lemonade

Then there was the very delicious (and highly recommended) Bourbon Steak Quesadillas with Peach Salsa. Best meal of the trip!
Bourbon Steak Quesadillas
Print the recipe here: Bourbon Steak Quesadillas

And there was no way the kids would let fresh peaches escape the Peach Bread Pudding.
bread pudding
Print the recipe here: Peach Bread Pudding

Oh and there was a crisp. This time it was peaches, blueberries and red currants.
cherry peach blueberry crisp

The one pictured above didn’t have a recipe as it was just thrown together, but here are a few other options with recipes:

The Peach Blueberry Crisp
Peach Blueberry Crisp
Print the recipe here: Peach-Blueberry Crisp

The Peach Cobbler
Georgia peach cobbler
Print the recipe here: Georgia Peach Cobbler

Finally here are a few more peach recipes we didn’t get around to this year, but we haven’t forgotten about them yet.

Peach Salsa

Peach Teriyaki Buffalo Steaks
Peach Teriyaki Buffalo Steak
Print the recipe here: Peach Teriyaki Buffalo Steaks

South Dakota Peach Kuchen
Peach Kuchen
Print the recipe here: South Dakota Peach Kuchen

I’m hungry just thinking about these again. We hope you enjoyed the peachy round-up. Now, I’m off to go whip up one last peach recipe with the few peaches that made it home with us. Nothing like ending the weekend with memories of a vacation!

We’ll be back after school starts. Until then, here’s a little slide show of our country vacation 2014. Cheers!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

35 comments on “Country Magic

Here you are! I’ve been away myself and maybe I “lost” you when I checked WP on my iPhone. It wouldn’t surprise me. I’m really inept with thing. Smart phone my foot!
    You sure did pick a great time to head into Michigan. When I was a boy, we did the same, heading north for 2 weeks every August. I remember those vacations quite fondly and I’m sure your SousChefs will, too.

2. What a beautiful summer holiday, you guys ate well! I love fresh peaches and I would love try one of each of your recipes but I think I will start with your grilled peach and french toast. My goodness that looks good.

3. wow! what a delicious photos! i love them! you are so talented! I’m dying to try each of your dishes…

4. I’m so glad I didn’t miss this post entirely, Kristy! Peaches! How am I ever going to make a decision about what to cook or bake first? Every recipe you’ve shared here sounds like something I just have to make at some point. :-) I love the idea of peach bread pudding. :-) I am so happy to hear that summer was so relaxing and that you had very enriching family time. What a joy, Kristy. And now you’re all back in the school routines, and I hope that it moves smoothly! It’s great to have you back. :-)

5. Courtney says:

Hah – I love your comment about there something to be said about routines when school start – believe me I’m counting down (my boys need some time apart to miss each other). :) I love the recap since I missed so much over the last year. It all looks so good I don’t know where to start. And I love all the great pictures of your trip.

6. Beautiful! Where in Michigan do you stay? I’m a native Michgander and love visiting home in the summer. I wish I could visit every summer! the recipes look yummy to, thanks for sharing!

7. Raymund says:

If your hungry that thinking it well I am hungry as well just looking at those amazing recipes and photos!

8. Ha! I found myself reading the post saying oh my awesome to one dish and then saying but that looks even better to the next dish and so on and so on. WOW! The food, the atmosphere, the scenery- it all looks wonderful and peaceful. SO glad ya’ll got to get away and do that before the school year sets in!

9. chris says:

Sounds like a great trip…. and those peach-inspired foods all look delicious!

10. Karen says:

Peaches and summer go hand in hand as far as I am concerned. It sounds like your country stay was a perfect way to end summer. Good luck to everyone as you start your new routine.

11. Eva Taylor says:

I’m loving your peach-etravaganza your choices are fantastic and I can see why they were so enjoyed. I love holidays like that, so relaxed and fun. Love monopoly, we used to play it when I was a kid too!
    Thanks for your kind words on my blog❤️.

12. Your summer seems like it was fantastic :D
    Sweet, delicious and refreshing in the country!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

13. All the food pics are fantastic, but I adore that first morning shot. Sounds like this vacation was perfect and a great way to both connect with family and unwind.

14. We had the juiciest peaches at the lake.. unfortunately I wasn’t able to bring any home. Now I’ll be off to the market this weekend to see if I can find some to try a few recipes. Your Bourbon Steak Quesadillas would be fantastic! Good luck with the fall and getting your kids happily off to school! I always love this time of year, I think because I used to be a teacher there was so much excitement about meeting my students. I really enjoyed your slideshow too!xx

15. Norma Chang says:

What a fun filled vacation, love the photo of Mr. N at the beach contemplating. What was he thinking?????
    So many creative peach recipes, will start with the Peach Bread Pudding as soon as I get my hands on some local peaches.

16. hotlyspiced says:

Gorgeous images in the slideshow. It sure looks like you had a super summer holiday. It’s always so sad when the vacation is over, the summer is near its end and it’s time to head back to work and all the schedules surrounding the kids’ routines. Good luck! And how lovely to be picking your own peaches xx

17. Dawn says:

Looks like you had a great vacation! I can’t believe summer is almost over already…

I know! It’s gone so fast. I think we’re all ready for some sort of routine though. Hopefully we’ll settle into it quickly. The transitional period is always a bit bumpy.

18. sallybr says:

From the last day of our short (5day) vacation in Colorado, I know bittersweet well…

but, life goes on, and it’s nice that wonderful things give place to day to day life, so that we enjoy them all even more next time

I look forward to your next round of adventures! Good luck to the kids when school starts!

Thank you Sally! I have been thinking of you in CO. When I was growing up we went out there every summer. I have such wonderful memories. :) It’s a beautiful place. I’m hoping we’ll get back there next summer.

19. A_Boleyn says:

You are a very lucky family being able to enjoy a summer in such a lovely place. So many peach recipes … no idea where to start first.

20. Mary says:

The country looks wonderful! and the food looks fabulous too!
    Mary

21. I remember this magical country house from last year — the cover photo is mesmerizing and I think there was one of you and Mike enjoying a glass of wine (your hands) in a window. Beautiful. I’m trying to be collected about the fact that the boys start school tomorrow… bittersweet indeed. I do think the hours stretch longer in the country :) — enjoy your final week together as a family and thank you for this gorgeous spread – I just had breakfast but my mouth is still watering!

I hope this morning went off without a hitch. That first day is always ultra-bittersweet. I think we’ll all be happy to settle into routines again, but the summer has just been so much fun!

22. Sue says:

So who won Monopoly? ☺

23. cecilia says:

I am dying to try that peach salsa.. and the pudding! and what a glorious way to spend the last few days of the summer holidays. What a lucky find that house was… c

The peach salsa on the bourbon steak recipe is great too…Serrano pepper instead of jalapeño. We’re making your steak with chimichurri tonight. :)