Like kissing your…brother?

An oft-repeated quote in sports goes like this: “A tie is like kissing your sister.” A google search attributes the origin of the quote to former Texas football coach Darryl Royal, Alabama coach Bear Bryant, Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty, or Navy coach Eddie Erdelatz, but regardless of who said it first, it sure fits. A weird combination of completely unsatisfying, and could have been worse. We had a tie in last year’s Banana Bread challenge, and needless to say, we weren’t eager to repeat that again in our French Toast Challenge this year.

The final showdown pitted the top two seeds against each other, with #1 Bermuda French Toast taking on #2 Blueberry Stuffed. Bermuda struggled in the first round, but ultimately just had too much and managed to avoid the upset. Blueberry Stuffed prevailed in a tough battle in its previous match-up to earn its spot in the finals. Both recipes were at their best on challenge day, and it was clear when we got them both on the plate that we were in for an entertaining and enjoyable challenge.
FT Championship
We started with the Blueberry, and it was good–excellent, really–but about halfway through, I stole a bite of the Bermuda. Game over. French toast like this is the reason we do the challenge. This was like 1990 UNLV or 1976 Indiana or Doree’s banana bread. As good as the blueberry was, it was simply no match for the Bermuda in my mind.

A few minutes later, all the French Toast was gone and it was time to vote. I voted for the Bermuda. Kristy also chose the right one. My children, on the other hand. Mr. N and Miss A, two beautiful, happy kids that have spent the past two years on our virtual adventure around the world seeking culinary enlightenment in preparation for this moment….and for the second time this March Madness season, I found myself disappointed by a bad call. My kids picked the blueberry. And we were stuck with a tie.

Thankfully, though, food isn’t exactly like sports and after that meal, I was plenty satisfied and the Bermuda French Toast couldn’t have been better. There would be no sister kissing today.

IMG_6584

Kissing your brother, on the other hand. Well, that didn’t seem too bad to Miss A.

IMG_6579

So congratulations to the co-champions of French Toast, Bermuda and Blueberry Stuffed. And now it’s time for one shining moment, French Toast Style. And Sally, we hope we’ve convinced you to try your first piece of French toast.

Amish French Toast

Peaches and Figs French Toast

Peaches and Figs French Toast

Pumpkin French Toast

Pumpkin French Toast

Romanian French Toast

Romanian French Toast

52 comments on “Like kissing your…brother?

1. alidaniel says:

You’ve got such a fun blog! Your kids area adorable and your food looks amazing! adopt me, please?! :)

2. I can’t wait for my daughter to come home from school, she loves french toast and she couldn’t wait to see who won!
    A wonderful round up of recipes and very worthy winners!

3. Kristy says:

Thanks Kay! A little bacon on the side of that one and it would be truly to die for. ;)

4. Purely.. Kay says:

You already know anything with bacon had me excited lol. But the stuffed french toast definitely looked so delicious that it just made me drool. No joke. I love it

5. Madame says:

Wow, I’m amazed by your variety of French toasts !

6. Norma Chang says:

I gained weight just looking at all those fabulous and delicious French toast.

Boy oh boy, has it really been that many French toasts? Is it really all over? It seems like the banana bread was only a couple of months ago and now French toast is… well, “toast”. Two worthy winners to be sure, but it’s a shame there was no definitive winner. I’d have been tempted to try and tip the scales in my favour a bit… you know, add more butter to the Bermuda… everything’s better with more butter, right? Or maybe bacon! Make it mysteriously irresistible to them all!

Can’t wait to see what you decide to trial next!

LOL! My sister-in-law suggested we give weight to the votes. The grown-ups weigh more, so our votes count more. ;) (I did add an extra layer of cinnamon sugar to the Bermuda FT…the blueberry was still too good for the kids.)

• Charles says:

lol… you could just say: “I pay the bills, therefore I win by default”. That was usually what my parents resorted to whenever there was some disagreement…

Mom and Dad: We want curry tonight
        Me: but, but, I want pizza
        Sister: nooo, I want Chinese
        Mom and Dad: Well, guess what? We’re paying so we get to decide, ha!

Ha! Yep…that must be a universal thing. My parents would say the same thing. Or it’s our house…when you have your own house you can make the rules. ;)

8. Karen says:

I think we can safely say that your family is the ultimate authority on french toast.

That’s a good bet Karen. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing though. I find I can’t order it in restaurants anymore because they’re just not as good as these.

9. Amy says:

As Chef Dad’s sister, I feel the need to comment. But I’m speechless. . . .

10. Raymund says:

Wow French Toast Overload, All look nice

11. I think it would be so much fun for me to make way through ALL the recipes and have a different French toast every weekend. Really they all look good to me. You’ve convinced me, though, to go for the Bermuda! It looks and sounds just wonderful. I love the photos of the kids playing and yes, kissing! :-)

12. That’s a new saying for me.. and one I’ll never forget now:D This was so fun.. and I love both recipes that won the tie. In the end, it gives us motivation to try cooking up both of them!

13. kikimac says:

how fun! they all sound delicious!

14. Oh mah gah!!! mouth.watering. for reals! And I just had lunch!
    Your cuties are having so much fun! :-D

I get hungry just thinking about it. I can’t even look at the pictures or it’s all over for me. ;) We are definitely having fun. Thanks Kate!

15. What a fabulous list of French Toasts you have found for us. We are all so lucky to benefit from your hard work. The kids certainly look like they have had a blast doing this challenge. Wowee does that Bermuda one look crazy good.

16. A fun post! I know it’s been awhile since I’ve visited you guys but I’m glad I did! I’m so hungry looking at the pics of all the French toast recipes. I’ll definitely keep this post in mind for Mother’s day brunch! The kids are getting so big and so adorable! In my eyes both recipes are winners! Now I must go and eat breakfast – perhaps make some French toast! LOL

What a great idea – a French toast Mother’s Day brunch. Maybe I could even get to stay in bed while Mike and the kids whip it up. How ideal would that be?! :)

17. “Like kissing your sister” – not sure I would have known the origin of that. Love interesting facts like this.
    Another tie – both winners is the way I look at it.
    Have a fabulous week. :-) Mandy xo

Another great tourney and post, one that had me riveted to my seat. Although I thought Team Blue would triumph, sharing the title is better than going home empty-handed. I absolutely loved the pics of the kids but the “one shining moment” photos of all of the contestants cracked me up. This was a lot of fun. Thanks!

• ChefDad says:

I spent an hour or so trying to figure out how to make a slide show montage with the music in the background, but ultimately decided we probably need a copyright to use the song.

Sent from my iPad

19. Eva Taylor says:

I’m thinking I need to get off my lazy butt and make the Bermuda French toast. I would have to be Bermuda since it was our honeymoon destination!
    Plus I can’t resist the flavours. Are you sick of French toast yet? Can’t wait for the next challenge.

20. Dawn says:

What beautiful pictures, it’s hard to believe you posted that many French toast recipes this year!! What will it be next year??

14 different French toasts. I have a feeling only Bermuda and blueberry will be repeated again and again, but you never know. I think we’re putting the best of challenge on hold for this year. We want to focus on international cooking. With posting only once a week right now we figured that was more fun. Hopefully if all goes well, we’ll bump back up to two times next year. Then who knows what our best of will be – we do have so much fun with it! :)

• Dawn says:

I think I might have to start doing things your way :) Posting 2x a week is exhausting, and probably too much. I will see how much longer I can continue.

21. “A weird combination of completely unsatisfying, and could have been worse” Love. I always know when chef dad is at the helm keeping us riveted with his keen insight into the sociology of sports. I hear you brother on the disappointment of bad calls (http://goo.gl/D1TJn) ;-). But on this fine day, everyone’s a winner. Your one shining moment was the perfect punctuation. Brilliant post.

22. Kammie says:

Drooling over here. French toast is not something I make… pretty much ever. Unless I’m at a brunch place. But I am checking out pretty much every single one you linked and pinning the recipes, I’m making it a goal to make at least two this year!

23. hotlyspiced says:

I have never heard that expression before. I can’t believe how much French toast you have cooked – unbelievable. Now I feel I have to try the blueberry and the Bermuda just so I know how close this competition is! xx

24. sallybr says:

HA! KISSING THE SISTER! You know, in Brazil we say “dancing with your sister” (or “dancing with your brother”) depending on who is the person listening to the story… too good!

A tie, two years in a row… you guys… you need a tie-breaker taster. (Sally raises her hand, histerically, well, let me re-phrase it, “delicately”, like a lady…. )

(I clicked on the Sally link, but somehow was sent to a black hole in the universe. I got scared and moved away….. )

Great post!!!!!

We do need a tie breaker taster! You’d be more than welcome. :) Technical glitch on that link…should be all good now. ;)

• sallybr says:

Oh, you are too sweet! I thought that it would link to my comment on your site about never having tasted French toast. I guess it’s not possible to link to a comment anyway, what was I thinking?

thanks for the link!

25. While I haven’t been here for a while I missed the fun challenge! I’m going to catch up on the missing post(s) after this but my gosh you have so many unique French toast recipes on your site! I’m going to check out some. I always love blueberries but definitely curious about the Bermuda!!!

I’d say you really couldn’t go wrong with either the Blueberry or the Bermuda. They are both darn good! This was one tasty challenge. :)