Quest for the Best Banana Bread – Mom Knows Best

Tonight we continue on our quest for the best banana bread, which is actually nearing an end. In fact after today, we have only one last recipe (and it’s a special one) before the final taste test. I can’t even tell you how excited the kids are about lining up all the pieces of different banana breads for the final taste test. We don’t even know how many there are anymore, but they’re talking about it nearly every day. You would think it was Christmas again with their levels of anticipation.

But before we get to that special recipe and our final taste test, we had to try one more banana bread. It sounded too good to pass up. It comes to us from Dawn (actually Dawn’s mom) at First Look, Then Cook. If you don’t know Dawn, all of her recipes are delectable, but it’s her desserts that WOW me each and every time. She even makes me drool over chocolate (and folks that know me, know that’s saying something). Dawn has several delicious banana related desserts on her blog, but she swears by her mom’s recipe for banana bread, and how can you go wrong with a recipe from mom?!

Now this is when we usually post the pictures of our ingredients and process, but really, we think you’ve seen enough of those banana shots. So for this banana bread we thought it would be fun to chronicle the life of a sous chef.

So I asked Miss A if she wanted to make a banana bread. She of course said yes, but she had to get ready first. This is how she came downstairs a few minutes later.

Apparently banana bread making is now a “royal” event. So Princess A and I set to work by mashing the bananas. Then we used the new KitchenAid mixer to blend our bananas, oil, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.

In a mixing bowl we sifted together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder before adding it to the mixer.

The princess was rather enjoying not having to lift a finger and letting the magic mixer do the work. That said, she wasn’t worried about getting her hands or face dirty licking the mashed banana bowl clean.

The banana bread baked for 45 minutes at 350F and came out smelling and looking wonderful.

Princess A and I tried some right away and one thing was clear – Mom knows best (Dawn’s mom that is.). This was some seriously good banana bread.

Mike and Mr. N agreed that this was top-notch. It was sweet and ever so moist; and one that we all enjoyed even though it didn’t have brown sugar (which we usually prefer to white sugar varieties).

Now will it stand up to some of our other favorites? You’ll know the answer next week! Yep – the test taste is almost here. Until then, you can print this recipe here: Dawn’s Mom’s Banana Bread. Thank you Dawn!

32 comments on “Quest for the Best Banana Bread – Mom Knows Best

1. Deborah says:

Can’t wait to hear the final verdict, but this one looks wonderful!!

2. What a beautiful little helper! Mine will always get dirty to lick the bowl as well!

I feel like I’m at a disadvantage whenever you make these posts! I don’t have a cute little princess helping me in the kitchen – it’s usually just me, trying not to trip over my cat, or trying not to wage battles with my wife over the best way to chop something! (We don’t really cook together because I’m rather… er… strong-willed in the kitchen!)

I’m looking forward to the taste test – are you not worried that some of the older slices might have been imbued with “freezer taste”? I suppose that’s always a good opportunity to make them all over again, just in case :D Seriously though – can’t wait to see which one wins – this one looks like another great contender!

Well, I suppose I can say this there was no freezer taste at all. Each slice was moist and flavorful. (We did the taste test yesterday. I’m still full!)

4. kyleen says:

A is adorable! I remember making banana bread with my mom when I was little, but I never dressed up. A’s way looks like a lot more fun though.

The banana bread looks delicious!

I made banana bread when I was little with my dad. I didn’t think to dress up like a princess either. I have to admit, it made the event more fun! :)

5. Great recipe…but I like the princess! Debra

6. This is the royal post… of all royal post Kristy :). Princess A definitely wasn’t camera shy and wanted to show her style. She is just too stylish for words :). And this banana bread looks so moist and wonderful. You knwo I am not a lover of bread but I think I can love this bread girl.. totally.

7. Everything is better in a princess dress! Sleeping beauty would be so proud. My little ponytail has the same dress, and wore it for Halloween. I love the idea of a banana bread throw down. I make a loaf almost weekly, so I’ll need to try out the winning recipe to mix things up a bit.

8. Adorable! She is just too cute for words. The banana bread looks pretty amazing as well. Can’t wait until the verdict.

9. Stefanie says:

I can’t wait for your final results! I have bananas in the freezer waiting to be turned into something yummy, and I know I’m going to have to try your winning banana bread. This one certainly looks wonderful, though. I might give this one a try, too!

10. Wow the final verdict is next week..can’t wait
    and miss A looks adorable..love her headband

11. I’m really excited about your banana bread judging…and not having seen them all, I would say this one is a viable contender for first or at least second. I do love a moist banana bread dolloped with a piece of sweet butter melting into each and every banana flavoured grain.

12. Would you look at that KitchenAid mixer – it’s bigger than Miss A! I loved your chronicle… a day in the life of a sous chef – the trials, the tribulations, the wardrobe selection ;)… all told through Miss A and her precious expressions. Thanks for introducing us/me to Dawn – her site does look wonderful. Looking forward to next week!

13. Katherine says:

OMG, your daughter just loves the camera and it loves her back. Those curls, those eyes. She’s so darn cute! I can’t wait for the banana bread smackdown.

14. Courtney says:

I really want a Princess A of my own. (Girls in princess outfits make me want to try for a girl – but Hubs says no – because we’d have another boy. And he’s right. But still. Maybe I could get my own princess outfit and just be Princess Mom??) She is too darn adorable for words. Really. Anyways, I am SO so So excited to hear the banana bread results, because I know I will definitely have to try it.

15. spicegirlfla says:

Wow…now I’m sitting at the edge of my seat awaiting the outcome of the best banana bread!! The texture and color look awesome on this bread. I may have to bake a loaf this weekend just so that I can compare along with you! Princess indeed, Miss A is a sweatheart through and through, inside and out!!

16. I agree with John, Miss A is a cutie pie! I bet she can make banana bread in her sleep! lol
    I look forward to all the banana bread recipes you post, I don’t even know where to begin. When someone asks me for a banana bread recipe, I send them to your site! :) Can’t wait for the tast teste post!

Such a cutie pie! What better recommendation is there for a blog than this recipe? It sounds delicious! I’m looking forward to next week’s taste tests. No matter which bread is eventually selected, we are the real winners. That’s my kinda test!

18. rsmacaalay says:

Princess A looks so cute and adorable!

19. Oh boy, I must say this one looks like a winner – well done to you and Princess A. :-) Mandy

20. Oh, my gosh, I leave for a mini-vaca and look what you’ve been up to! What a pretty sous chef you have here… I love her smile of pure joy and then the totally renegade pose with fingers stuffed with sweet batter in her mouth… Lovely, I just so enjoy your photos now that my little princess has grown…
    Can’t wait to see which recipe wins:)

21. Well yea… that’s what I put on whenever I’m going to bake. If you’re not going to look the part, why bother?? Love Miss A, really do. As I’ve said before, she keeps things real! Looking forward to the taste test!

22. Dawn says:

Thanks so much Kristy – I’m so glad this bread made it into your competition, my mother will be so happy!!